Friday, August 26, 2011

Ooh la, the Istanbul (Egyptian) Spice Market

Everything that comes to mind when you think "spice market" and "Istanbul" is true. It's stand-upon-stand of pile-upon-pile of bright, fragrant, beautiful spice mixtures. And next to those spices are bin-upon-bin of black teas, fruit teas, flower teas, herbal teas. And in the back of almost every store, there's decanter and decanter of thick, heady perfume oils. But perhaps the best? Every kind of Turkish Delight you can imagine: those based in honey (the best), those based in sugar (sweeter), those with nuts, those coated in coconut, those in rolls, those in cubes, rose, chocolates, marshmallow, nougat. Literally, Mizz S and I tried almost every kind of Turkish Delight.

Needless to say, the Spice Market was none too easy to walk away from.
My money getting pulled into a syringe.
I bought patchouli (not at all like the head shop crapola), musk and amber. I'm so in love with my wrists now.
After the Spice Market, we wandered nearby streets and I got a hankerin' for freshly squeezed pomegranate juice. As luck would have it, my juicer guy was lazy and I got to do the work myself. (Not so easy, truth be told.)
It took about six pomegranates to get enough juice for a small cup.

1 comment:

EcoGrrl said...

no wonder that grenadine at the grocery store is made out of corn syrup and not actual pomegranates! LOVE the pix of the spices - girl you have a great eye!!