Thursday, July 21, 2011

Some Eats from Madrid

Yesterday I decided to picnic for lunch. When I came upon the Spanish equivalent of Zabar's, I was in heaven. Cheeses, meats, beers, spices, yum yum yum.
From the deli, I bought salmon pate, pate con hierbas finas, crab salad and a Wensleydale cheese with cranberries for dessert. A vegetable stand rounded out my lunch with a bell pepper, carrots and a cucumber (the pepper and cucumber were no match for my sustainably harvested bamboo knife but the carrots laughed). 
Every few blocks it seems Madrid has a little park. Below is a median park on El Calle de Paseo which is where I sat and had my lunch.
Since I am leaving Madrid for Barcelona tomorrow, and have an 8 hour bus ride to look forward to, I decided to return to "Zabar's" and get some ham (they loves the pig in the country!), cheese and pate. And am I ever glad I did because look what I overlooked yesterday: pecorino trufado...which I rightly assumed was truffled pecorino. And at almost 70 bucks for 2 pounds. After buying a slice, I can say it is worth it. Apparently I was on a truffle kick because I also bought some pate trufado for tomorrow. Mmmmn.
To help cool the hot Madrid afternoon after walking a good six miles, freshly made mojito hit the spot.

No comments: