Wednesday, July 20, 2011

El Museo de Reina Sofia in Madrid

I did something very communist on Monday; I saw a long line of people, with more lining up, and I figured it had to be good so I jumped in the line too. Granted it was at the Museo Reina Sofia (the national art museum) and I heard gratis a few times. As luck would have it, it was their free admission day. I have no idea why. But, as a result, I got to check out a cultural fixture that I most likely would have forgone on my strict daily budget.
This is only about half the line to get into the museum.
Of course there were the Picasso's and Dali's.


But then there was Yayoi Kusama, an artist born in Japan in 1929, and her stuff, well....I fell in love. She painted, sculpted, made installation art, worked with fabrics, videos, social commentary, and this is just what I saw at this collection.

First, a polka dot room. Dots placed everywhere and then blacklit. Looks even neater through the camera because the dots look like they're floating.
An example of her fabric'd arts.
Just a few of her paintings.
By far my favorite item of hers was this room. It was mirrored and had strings of light that hung down, they'd change colors too, giving vastly different experiences in the room.
But here's 'a miss' in my opinion. This is a hat. (Perhaps for some.)

2 comments:

EcoGrrl said...

okay i take back what i said on the last post. stay online and post pictures. i am madly in love with those dot photos and the red one. hat? looks like silver poop... ;)

sari g said...

What a great day!!! Much better than say....my living room! yes - spontaneously join lines to get into places!! "LIKE"