Thursday, July 14, 2011

sittin' waitin' and hopin' in Delaware

After a couple of weeks in Wyoming catching up with family and friends, I am pleased to say that I have begun my actual worldly adventures. I am not particularly pleased to announce that I have not gotten far in 2 days. I flew from Rock Springs, Wyoming on July 12th and landed in Philadelphia in the wee hours of July 13th.
This is the sum of the check-in counter at the Rock Springs, Wyoming airport.
More animal heads than customers. 

Luckily, due to military service, I was welcomed into the Philly USO where I spent a few restful hours before trekking off in search of a rental car. Once Budget-ized, I drove to Dover Air Force Base, Delaware in hopes of flying on a space available (Space A) basis to anywhere in Europe. No joy yesterday, and it's not looking too good today either. But there is a flight to Spain at 2 in the morning on the 15th so I've basically homesteaded at the Dover USO. They got coffee! They got good wifi! They got comfy couches! And all the volunteers seem to be real good peeps.

Just two or three days hoping to fly out, it really isn't so bad and people have been so helpful; the USO has been a godsend, the lady at Budget drove me to the air base in her own car (while refusing any offer of gas money) and another fellow Space A'er drove me and my too-heavy-to-walk-a-mile-or-two bags to the lodge on base.

Hopefully my next post is from anywhere in Europe.

1 comment:

EcoGrrl said...

g'day mate! heheheee

anywhere in europe, that's awesome!