Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Living Large in Madrid

Quiz: tenement, 18th century brothel or Sarah's accommodations?
I only stayed in this Madrid hostel one night. The room is the nicer part of this hostel. (I will never complain of US fire codes again.) The window led to the inner ventilation shaft that only faces other windows. You look up, there is laundry hanging on the line, you look down, there is laundry hanging on the line. And you hear everything: snoring, toilets, children complaining. But the room and the bathroom down the hall were clean!
I'm in a nicer hostel now.

3 comments:

1drous1 said...

Tell us about the food & wine!

stoney said...

Beware of very cheap "hotels." My son and I (he was 16) were told about a cheap place to stay in the Algerian section of Paris. The guy didn't even ask to see my passport and grinned when I said, "This is my son."
The clack of high heels went on all night in the corridor and strange sounds from either side of our room woke me more than once. Thank goodness Danny is a sound sleeper!

Sarah said...

1drous1 (hi!) - I've been fairly boring in the eats and drinks department. I've nailed "soy allergica al trigo" but am amazed at the amount of serrano ham I've eaten. Today will be food adventures! (hopefully)

Stoney - the place in the picture didn't take my passport either. It was 24 euros, he held out his hand, I gave him cash, he gave me a key. Me no likey. Just one night there.