Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The First Two Days: Rain

On November 21st, I drove from Canberra to Katoomba via Goulburn. I was heading into the heart of the Blue Mountains. Since a lot of the roads are rather small and winding, picture opportunities were a bit limited (safety, safety, safety!) but I managed to get this picture, all too confident that I'd be a snappy camper the following day.
But Tuesday morning proved Puget Sound dreary. And this shite lasted ALL DAY. Up over every mountain. Through valleys. Long stretches. Shite weather.
But I persevered and went to the Jenolan Caves- one of those stalactite/mite sort of places. Really quite beautiful. Even has an underground river. It looked still but it was actually quite loud.

By evening, I was pulling into Singleton, in the heart of the Hunter Valley. I found an RV park ("caravan park" in the dialect of the locals), cozied up the backseat with my sleeping bag, put on some snuggly new wool socks (go Mongrel socks!) and popped open a cold cider- surprisingly relaxed and confident about nice weather the next morning.

Then the rain started.

It lasted all night.

It's still raining.

I'm leaving this inland stuff and heading for the beach.

Perhaps Byron Bay by evening. Gotta check the mileage on that one.

3 comments:

EcoGrrl said...

gorgeous!!!! hey watch your mouth on that northwest jab heehee....great to see a pic of you again - what an amazing looking place! rain is good - makes you appreciate sun that much more, miss nevada!

Sarah said...

I know, I know. Rain makes you appreciate sun. Yadda yadda. But, um, Eco, you know it can be dreary enough as it is. :-/ I'm holed up in a hostel well short of Byron's Bay for the night- in an artsy little town called Bellingen. (Unlimited WiFi in the hostel!) I drove 400 km today and did not turn off my wipers ONCE. But, I've perked up because there's "jazz on the veranda" at the local pub in 35 minutes.

EcoGrrl said...

oh yeah, and it rained 3" here yesterday (recordbreaking). can't wait to hear next adventures! more pictures! when do you come home?

ps roomie moves out 12/31 in case you need a place in p-town to hole up here :)