Saturday, November 26, 2011

Canberra Sculptures

(Yet another catch-up post.)
As I already mentioned, Canberra is a city of museums. And most of them are free. I was stoked to go to the National Art Gallery and, once I noticed that photography was verboten, I really just enjoyed walking the halls. Not taking pictures was grrrreat. I saw Jackson Pollock's Blue Poles, a Monet, a Lichtenstein, lots of Aboriginal art, a few Warhols and, my favorite, not one dying Christ or crying Madonna. Actually my two favorite pieces in the National Art Gallery were James Angus' A Lot of Bright Ideas (a collection of about 100 lightbulbs in which the filaments are all different shapes- mostly modern culture references) and Fiona Hall's Paradisus Terrestris (while it has an erotic element, I really liked the detail of these tiny metal sculptures).

But all was not lost in the art department as Canberra has bunches of sculptures just laying about. Mostly they're in the sculpture park but scattered around central Canberra are lots of other sculptures too.
Some Rodin.
This was a piece dedicated to the Lost Generation- the Aboriginal children that were taken from their families and relocated to orphanages or to live with white Australian families.
The back of the sculpture is covered in stories such as these.

2 comments:

EcoGrrl said...

freakin' awesome. love the pears. when i was in paris the rodin garden was my very favorite :) haha though i took pix inside the louvre and no one said anything to me! had no idea ya couldn't :)

jaymo said...

Love the heads in the pond...ultra-creepy!