Thursday, December 1, 2011

Something from WWII

(For the record, I am super behind on blog posts.....)

While I was staying in the super tiny and super chill and super awesome town Emu Park, a couple of folks at the social hour highly recommended that I go see Saint Christopher's Chapel once they learned that I was retired military. The chapel was built by the Americans during WWII. Apparently, and is this horrible that I did not know this, there were bunches of Americans in Australia during WWII.

On my way out of Emu Park, I diverted to this little, open air chapel which is wonderfully maintained. Reading on one of the plaques, the engineering unit that made it later went on to Borneo and the Philippines. I can only imagine their fate.
Apparently there was a field day when they built the chapel. All sorts of records are posted around the perimeter of the chapel. This one impressed me- he threw a football 190 feet. Good ol' Ray.

No comments: