Friday, December 2, 2011

Airlie Beach

On November 29th I pulled in Airlie Beach- another spot I'd been told time and again was a must see. It has the distinction, on this trip of mine, of being the only place where the preponderance of tourists were Australians. Like lots and lots of 18 to 23 year old Australians. It's like a spring break type place.

But it is a beautiful little lagoon town, with gorgeous properties and views.
 As a counterpoint to the beauty of Airlie Beach, there was my room. Notice that I am standing OUTSIDE the room in order to take this picture. In actuality, it wasn't so bad. The first time I'd had a/c in Queensland (couldn't set it any lower than 24 degrees Celsius but hey), and I could reach the wifi signal in my room. Yes, I splurged in this hostel and opted for the single room.
 At 6:30 the next morning, I headed down to "the beach" for a morning swim but when I got there, I realized I'd mistakenly thought this area was the beach. It was rocks. All rocks.
 So then I walked over to the proper SAND beach that I'd seen the night before and was welcomed with this sign. So I gave up on the swim idea and went to hog more wifi.

1 comment:

jaymo said...

Yeah, unfortunately you see that a lot. It's like every living thing there longs, positively thirsts for your blood. And the inanimate things would do, if they could manage it.