Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sydney: My First 24.

I landed early and made my way to my rented room- the one in the Victorian-era house with three comedians living there. I will say this, they forewarned me it was a bit dilapidated. And the dilapidation I could handle. This place is very Dickinsonian but, on top of that, these boys are some piggies. I'd planned to stay a few more days in Sydney than the five I'd booked here, and I'd prefer to stay in one spot but I think five days in this house will be ample. Let's just hope my immune system holds out.

But I digress. So I checked in, got cleaned up and ventured off on foot. I walked all of the Sydney Central Business District (CBD) and then some yesterday. And, man oh man, is this town pricey. But the folks are nice! I finished up with some olives and wine at a neighborhood wine bar, with a stop into the Dr. Seuss Art Gallery (only two in the world!) where the very nice salesman, Fuzz, recommended a run through the Botanical Gardens and around the Opera House once he heard I liked to run. So this morning that's just what I did. It came out to 6.6 miles- further than I've been running but city running, garden running, and zooming around the Opera House made it a damn fine run.
My run route. I'm staying in Paddington (search for my body there) and the tippy top of this route is the Sydney Opera House.

4 comments:

EcoGrrl said...

well it'll only get better eh? did you like the botanical garden? i could stare at flowers for eons...

ps - how do you create that route thingy? kinda dig...in a bit stalker-ish way haha

Sarah said...

Eco- I need to go back for a stroll through the gardens because I realize I only did a small part. And the route business is done on GoogleEarth (not Google Maps), it's the ruler function and you have to choose "path" not "ruler."

jaymo said...

Go back to the Botanical Garden and stop running long enough to check out the flying foxes (enormous fruit bats). Some people find them a bit freaky, but they're harmless, and you're in one of the few places in the world where a huge colony is so easy to get to. The Botanical Garden itself is very nice of course, and worth a look. Have fun, I love to see what you're up to!

Sarah said...

Yes, sir! Actually, I do realize I missed like 99% of the botanical gardens- they even have a rare plants area. So I am gonna visit again and actually VISIT this time. I will post pics when that happens. Even though I HATE bats like I hate moths. (Erratic flight patterns.)