Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Raining in the Snowies

The past couple of days I've enjoyed a mini-vacation in Laramie, Wyoming. Catching up with friends, having a cocktail or two and bumming around the most cosmopolitan of Wyoming towns. On my drive back to Green River today, I opted to take the more scenic route out of Laramie and go through the Snowy Range. Once, what feels like a lifetime ago, I lived in Centennial (population 100) at the base of the Snowies. I was only there for about 6 months in 2002 but almost every day I was up exploring the hills, hiking, fishing, even snowmobiling a smidge. The two-lane going up and over is open only a few months out of the year so it's nice to drive it when it's an option. Today was mild, even though it was rainy, at a balmy 41 degrees fahrenheit.
As I recall, this little lake isn't always here.
Pure brilliance, Sarah. Donald Pliner flats in a wet mountain meadow
This is quite a view when not socked in by clouds. That's not a fox butt to the left of the trail, that's my poochie.
Even too cold and windy for the trees to grow right.
Mirror Lake.
Lake Marie.
Run off from Lake Marie.

3 comments:

EcoGrrl said...

bee-yoo-tiful! that or biking home in 90 degree weather, not sure which temp is worse right now!

Sarah said...

Funny that 40+ degrees up on the mountain felt warmer than 50+ degrees down in the valley though. (How is PDX 90+ degrees in the evening???)

Rebecca said...

i feel like i can smell it from your photos. nothing smells better.