Monday, September 19, 2011

MoMA - the good.

I didn't come to NYC with much of an agenda. Obviously, I came to visit with a dear friend, but I also want to see the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building and the Museum of Modern art. Last week I knocked out MoMA. My big to-do's there were to see a Lichtenstein and a Pollock (a fine Wyoming boy) which I did manage to see- other than that, it was just a treat to wander around and look at the the creative ways artists can express themselves and their worldviews.

I'm no Lichtenstein-phile but this is my favorite piece of his so I was happy to see it.
I believe this was the only Pollock piece displayed. It was upwards of 20 feet long.
This installation, Sum of Days, was 2 to 3 stories tall of sweepy gauze, dangling microphones and speakers and, at its center, a piano. When I experienced it, it was silent but just a short time later I heard the piano being played beautifully.
I couldn't quite capture this fisheyed beach panoramic head-on.
 Titled: Punch and Judy II Birth & Life & Sex & Death
 I really liked this one.
And this one too, Box of Wishes.
I was pleased to see a whole area reserved for the (now defunct?) Guerilla Girls.
This installation, Images of War (at a Distance), included 15 or so projection screens filled with videos centered on war: wargaming, videos from surveillance aircraft, lectures of battle breakdowns, equipment testing, etc.

2 comments:

EcoGrrl said...

like the wishbox - did you leave one? i'm a terrible museum companion - made it through the louvre in 45 minutes (echo clark griswold - "grand canyon kids!")

Sarah said...

Sadly, Eco, the wish box was closed. But I enjoyed going around and reading as many as I could. What a nice little piece.